The department of Surgery & Gastroenterology at MMHRC, is one of its kind in South India. It provides specialized surgical, Interventional endoscopic and advanced Laparoscopic services to the people of South Tamil Nadu. This department is the brain child of Dr.Ramesh Ardhanari, MS, M.Ch, (GE), FRCS(G) who was instrumental in its’ development and growth, today providing comprehensive care through a coordinated approach. Our experienced surgeons are backed by physicians skilled in the use of groundbreaking therapies like Endoscopy, Colonoscopy etc and state-of-the art diagnostic tools.
Facilities & Equipment
- Heater probe
- Cynoacrylate glue
- Argon Plasma coagulation
- Pentax Video System and has a dedicated C-ARM
- Video Endoscopy system and a high definition Laparoscopy system
- Dr. Ramesh Ardhanari, MS, M.Ch.(GE), FRCS(G) - Medical Director & Sr. Consultant
- Dr. N. Mohan, MS, DNB (GE), FACS, - Sr. Consultant
- Dr. P.L. Alagammai, MD (Gen. Med), DM (GE) - Consultant
- Dr. S. Jegadesh Chandra Bose, MS, M.Ch (GE), - Jr. Consultant
Our department services include Endoscopy, Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery and Surgical Gastroenterology
- Equipped with state-of-the-art equipment
- Approx. 450 Therapeutic ERCP`s performed p.a.
- Endoscopic ultrasound (PENTAX) is the first in South Tamil Nadu, and second in the state of Tamil Nadu.
- Apart from routine GE work we perform Palliative stenting in inoperable cancer of esophagus, bile duct Pancreas and colon.
- Alternate use of the Video system is that we have the largest series of FB bronchus removal in children using a Video Choledochoscope.
Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
Our Department has been credited with many "Firsts"
- First Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy in South Tamilnadu
- First Harmonic scalpel in India - 1993
- First Laparoscopic Total colectomy in India
- First Laparoscopic D2 gastrectomy in India
- First Laparoscopic Hydatid cyst drainage in the world
This proves how our Department has progressed by leaps and bounds, at par with international progress in this field. We strive to constantly improvise and improve upon techniques to achieve standardization a particular procedure. Through this we have now standardized the following procedures:
- Laparoscopic esophagectomy
- Laparoscopic total colectomy
- Laparoscopic CBD exploration
- Laparoscopic Anterior resection
- Laparoscopic D2 radical gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic Colectomy with vascular approach etc.
Today, we are recognized throughout the country as a centre par excellence in advanced Laparoscopy.
Our department provides specialized services in field of
- Surgical gastroenterology
- We routinely perform Whipple`s procedure for pancreatic malignancies
- Liver resection of hepatobiliary malignancies
- Surgery for bile duct strictures
- Surgery for corrosive injury of the oesophagus
- Routine surgical work.