Motherhood gives a sense of fulfilment to every woman and every couple desires to enjoy the status of parenthood in society. Infertile couples require guidance and counselling about the cause of infertility and appropriate management of the condition. The department of Reproductive Medicine at MMHRC is a single window, one stop centre for the treatment of infertility.
The department has been striving for over twelve years to offer quality counselling, comprehensive solutions, guidance and customized treatment to childless couples. This is backed by world class technology and professional care at an affordable cost to help our patients achieve healthy parenthood.
How can I determine my fertile period?
Your fertile period is the time during which having sex could lead to a pregnancy. These are the 4-6 days prior to ovulation (release of a mature egg from the ovary). Women normally ovulate 14 days prior to the date of the next menstrual period.
My husband says we should be having intercourse every day to achieve pregnancy. Is this true?
No, this is not true. Sperms remain alive and active in the woman’s cervical mucus for 48 – 72 hours following sexual intercourse. Therefore it isn’t necessary to have intercourse every day.
Do irregular periods make it difficult to conceive?
When the periods are regular, it means ovulation is occurring. For some normal women the length of the menstrual cycle can be as long as 40 days. So they need to monitor the fertile period more closely since periods are delayed. Irregular periods may need closer monitoring, but it does not mean that it will be difficult to conceive.
Can stress cause infertility?
There is no evidence that stress causes infertility. All infertility patients are under stress. It is not the stress that causes infertility, on the contrary it is the infertility that causes stress.
What should I do if I have bleeding after the embryo transfer?
Undoubtedly, bleeding after embryo transfer can be scary and may sometimes even suggest that the embryos have not been implanted, and that the period is due to start soon. However, bleeding can also occur during implantation and it’s not possible to determine its origin. If you bleed, first rest, drink lots of fluids, and do the blood test for beta HCG as planned. You should also meet your doctor for altering your medications. Don’t lose hope. Bleeding can occur during pregnancy as well.
How can I have my records sent to you?
You can scan your records as a single word or pdf file and email them to us. We will review your reports and co-ordinate with you either via e-mail or telephone.
What are the side-effects of In Vitro fertilization (IVF) or Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) medications?
The medications do not have any long term side-effects. They get excreted in the urine. IVF medications are nothing but natural hormones.
- Excellent Laboratory Facilities
- Endocrinological workup and treatment
- Trans-vaginal and trans-abdominal USG
- Laparoscopy and Hysterscopy procedures
- Hysterosalpingography under supervision
- Complete workup on infertile couples under one proof
- Intra Uterine Insemination (IUI)
- In Vitro fertilization (IVF)
- Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
- ICSI with Testicular Sperm Aspiration (TESA)
- Percutaneous Epididymal Sperm Aspiration (PESA)
- Andrology Consultation
- Embryo and Semen Freezing
- Blastocyst culture
- Embryo Donation / Oocyte Donation / Semen Donation
- Dr. Mullai Veluthambi, MBBS, DGO, DNB(OG), Diploma in Reproductive Medicine (Germany) – Jr. Consultant
- Dr. Archana. C, MBBS – Medical Officer
Intra uterine Insemination (IUI)
Intra Uterine Insemination (IUI) is a procedure where the washed and prepared sperm is directly inseminated into the uterus via a small flexible catheter.
Intra Uterine Insemination (IUI) procedures are usually performed the day after an LH surge is detected or 36 hrs after HCG is administered
- Mild Endometriosis
- Unexplained infertility
- Anovulatory infertility
- Mild male factor infertility
- Cervical factor infertility
Success Rate of Intra Uterine Insemination (IUI)
- Generally the chances of conceiving in one cycle is about 10-15% if the age of the female is less than 35 years
- The Cumulative Success rate is about 50% for a four treatment cycle.
- If the age of the female is more than 35 the chances of successful IUI is decreased.
In Vitro fertilization (IVF)
IVF is the basic assisted reproductive technique in which fertilization occurs in-vitro. The husband’s sperms and the wife’s oocyte are combined in the petridish. After fertilization the resulting embryos are then transferred into the uterus. Today, IVF has become the corner stone of Reproductive Medicine.
The five basic steps in In Vitro fertilization (IVF) are:
- Superovulation of wife / female
- Egg retrieval
- Spouse Sperm Preparation
- Embryo culture
- Embryo transfer
The indications for In Vitro fertilization (IVF) are:
IVF is the treatment option for couples with various causes of infertility, which may include
- Tubal factor (Blocked fallopian tubes)
- Unexplained infertility
- Moderate male factor infertility
- Premature menopause
- Pelvic inflammatory disease with severe adhesions
- Repeated IUI failures
In Vitro fertilization (IVF) Success Stories
Here are some of our Success stories
A couple from Singapore delivered a baby boy with ICSI
Happy IVF patients from Chennai
A couple with a long duration of infertility from Puducherry got pregnant with IVF
A case of Premature Ovarian failure, got pregnant with the oocyte donation programme
An infertile couple from Vilupuram delivered a female baby with Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) with TESA (TESA sperm retrieved by our Andrologist)
Post-menopausal women have conceived through the Embryo donation programme
A happy couple from Bangalore conceived through IUI
Some of our little angels are born through ART.
Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) is the advanced technique in ART, where a single morphologically normal sperm is injected into the egg.
This procedure is done under the microscope using multiple micromanipulation devices (Micro manipulator, Micro injectors & Micro pipette). A holding pipette on the left side is used to stabilize the mature oocyte, during micro injection. On the right side the injection pipette is used to immobilize the sperm and injected it into the egg.
- Males with severe male factor less than 2 million sperm count.
- Very poor sperm motility
- High degree of morphologically abnormal sperms.
- TESA, PESA Sperms (Surgically retrieved Sperms)
- Severe Endometriosis
- Old and aged females with a thick zona pellucide
It varies from patient to patient. The average success rate is about 40 to 45%
Free Second opinion
If you are having difficulty conceiving, and have already sought medical opinions, you can always consult our experts. At MMHRC we will be happy to offer you a second opinion. Kindly fill in the form below and e mail it to us.
Cost of In Vitro fertilization (IVF) & ICSI
- IVF generally costs about 75,000/- without the cost of stimulating drugs.
- ICSI specifically costs between 20,000/- to 25,000/- and this is over and above the General IVF cost.
Phone : 91-452-4263000 / 254 3000
Should you wish to consult our specialists, please call us to fix an appointment, anytime between 9 am to 5 pm