The Department of Cardiology offers innovative and scientifically based treatments for cardiac ailments and quality patient care, backed by a team of qualified, skilled and experienced doctors. MMHRC provides access to world class cardiac health care, especially to the rural population in the areas surrounding Madurai. We strongly believe in investing in the latest medical and diagnostic equipment, as well as constantly upgrading the skills of our personnel to offer the very best in care and treatment.
MMHRC offers 24 hour emergency services. It is equipped to manage cases of acute myocardial infarction for primary PCI and subsequent management, attend to cases of congestive cardiac failure, manage and stabilize complicated cases, as well as offer round-the-clock management for various other acute cardiac cases. The Department of Cardiology is well-equipped, offering dedicated critical care units with monitors, ventilators and all other necessary equipment.
The Department of Cardiology has its unique Catheterization Lab (Cath Lab) from GE Innova 200 flat panel and Siemens medical system incorporation, through which various diagnostic and interventional Cardiac procedures are being conducted on a regular basis.
Facilities & Equipment
- IABP (Intra-aortic Balloon Pump) for critically ill-patients
- ACT Machine to assess the clotting time during angioplasty
- TEE (Trans Oesophageal Echo)
- Thallium or Techniturn Study for Nuclear Cardiac Imaging
Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU)
The Dept. of Cardiology has been upgraded with
- 2 newly built Coronary Intensive Care Units
- Each of 12 beds
- Equipped with monitors, ventilators for critically ill patients, special wards and general wards for stable patients
- All of the above facilities are available in an exclusive cardiac wing.
- Dr. R. Sivakumar, M.D, DNB (Cardio) – Senior Consultant
- Dr. S. Selvamani, DNB (GM), DNB (Cardio) - Senior Consultant
- Dr. M. Sampathkumar, M.D, DM (Cardio) - Senior Consultant
- Dr. N.Ganesan, M.D, D.M (Cardio) – Hon. Visiting Consultant
Cardiac Procedures performed in Cath Lab
The Department of Cardiology is effectively supported by the Cardio-thoracic surgical team, which provides the surgical standby support during interventional procedures. It is also well-equipped to carry out various closed and open heart procedures including valve replacement and Coronary By-pass surgery (CABG).
MMHRC is well-equipped to provide primary PTCA as a modality of therapy in Acute Myocardial Infarction, along with the entire range of cardiac procedures from Angioplasty, for CAD, pacemakers, Balloon Mitral Valvotomy and ASD device, PDA coil closure for Congenital Heart Disease.