Meenakshi Tele Care (MTC) is the telemedicine project at MMHRC, which was launched on 21st May 2009. Aimed at improving healthcare delivery in the under-served rural areas, the telemedicine system was introduced by MMHRC and is supported by Direct Relief International, USA, the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), and some NGO’s.
Tele is the Greek word for "distance" and Mederi is the Latin word which means "to heal". Telemedicine provides delivery of healthcare services, where distance is a critical factor. In telemedicine all the healthcare professionals use information and communication technologies, for the exchange of valid information, for diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease and injuries.
People living in rural and remote areas across the globe often struggle to access timely medical help and quality medical care, the specialist doctors are located in the major cities. Telemedicine makes it possible for patients to have easy access to the doctors’ knowledge and experience virtually at their doorstep.
Modes of health care delivery
- MTC Rural Health Centres
- Mobile telemedicine
- Tele-public health
MTC Rural Health Centres
- At present there are six telemedicine centers located in Anaiyur, Varapur, Thonugal, Therespuram, Olaikuda and Raniganj (West Bengal).
- Everyday nearly 10-15 patients receive healthcare services in the respective centers.
- We provide patients with specialty consultations such as cardiology, dermatology, diabetology, general medicine, pediatrics, urology etc.
- MMHRC’s mobile telemedicine service is one among the 17 in the entire country.
- This service was started with the support of Direct Relief International, USA and Indian Space Research Organization.
- Mobile Telemedicine provides super-specialty services and diagnostic facilities such as X-ray, ECG, ultrasound, echo and other laboratory services in remote rural and disaster affected areas.
- On an average 6-8 camps are conducted every month, through the Mobile Telemedicine services.
- In order to further strengthen our academic activities, we are initiating a new project of Tele-education to share our academic programs with other medical institutions using video conferencing.
The Telemedicine Services offered at MMHRC include:
- Specialists’ opinion
- Web CME programs
- Guest Lectures
- To setup more telemedicine centres in India and overseas by finding the appropriate locations
- Single patient end connected to multiple specialist doctors during the teleconsultation, which can ultimately provide the best treatment for the patient
- To perform Telesurgery for the patients
- Access to specialized healthcare services to underserved, semi urban and remote areas
- Early diagnosis and treatment
- Saves time and money for the provider and the patient
- Continuity of care
- Most effective for disaster management
- Patients can get specialized opinion with less waiting time
VSAT IP: 10.249.195.3
Global IP: 22.214.171.124 , 126.96.36.199