The department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation at MMHRC is a boon to mankind in alleviating pain and leading a healthy life. The department is driven by the philosophy of ‘The patient comes first' under any circumstances. The Physiotherapy department is one of the largest and well-equipped with the latest equipment, working in all sub-specialties in physiotherapy. We have a qualified and highly experienced team of physiotherapists providing OPD services (Direct and Refferal) and IPD services (in the wards and intensive care units) with treatment procedures conforming to exacting international standards, offering a multifaceted approach to the rehabilitation of the patients.
The core idea at the Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation is to ensure that rehabilitation is done in the shortest period possible, making life near normal at the earliest. The physiotherapists provide a wide range of therapies after examination, tailored to suit individual needs. The physiotherapist aims to restore the functioning of the body, to reduce the impact of dysfunction, disability and pain in the body, which could have been caused through trauma and disease. The department strives steadily to improve mobility, health and reduce the risk of injuries.
- Manual Therapy: Stretching, manual resistance training, joint mobilization and manipulation, Manual lymphatic drainage (Post lymphedema), chest physiotherapy etc.
- Electro Therapy Techniques: Short-wave-diathermy, Ultra-Sound therapy (1mhz,3mhz), pelvic & cervical traction (continuous & intermittent), Interferential therapy, Wax-Bath, Electrical muscle stimulator, T.E.N.S, Slim-up,Vaccum therapy etc.
- Exercises: Posture training, muscle strengthening, cardio-vascular training and stretching.
Other services offered by the department include Advice orthosis and prosthesis (post amputation), offering information regarding equipment aids (wheel chairs, walking aids), taping and splinting.
Facilities & Equipment
- Electrotherapy: SWD/IFT/Ultrasonic/ MS Stimulator, T.E.N.S, Paraffin waxbath, Cryotherapy
- Diagnostic: S D curve/MS testing/ADL assessment
- Mechanical: Traction-Cervical/ Lumbar/ Pelvic/ C.P.M. for lower extremity, Tiltable, rowing, treadmill.
- Manual Mobilisation Therapies: Mobilization couch with specific features for mobilization.
- Exercise Therapy: Active/ Assisted / Passive/ Resisted/ Graded resisted exercises, PNF techniques, suspension therapy, Theraband/ tubes exercises.
- Chest Physiotherapy: Assessment of pulmonary functions, therapeutic functions, postural Drainage, Therapeutic, Interventional physiotherapeutic procedures, Nebulization Breathing exercises, Incentive spirometer, Humidification, home care and follow ups.
- Gynae/Obstertric: Antenatal & postnatal exercises, postural correction & awareness, Fitness - Assessment & Improvement etc.
- Post Operative Cardiac Surgeries: following cardiac surgeries pre & post operative Physiotherapeutic exercise for patients including breathing exercises, chest manoeuvers, humidification, nebulization, Incentive Spirometers, Limb Physiotherapy and cardiac rehab- phase I –IV
- For Neurological Disorders: Proper positioning of the limbs (Anti synergic patterns) general mobility & strengthening exercises, PNF and Bobath.
- ICU post-surgical care: Chest physio & general mobility exercises, Incentive Spiro meter exercises, Bronchial hygiene, proper positioning of the operative side/part and ambulation.
- Oncology and Palliative care: Physiotherapy in the field of Oncology and Palliative care is a continuously evolving and developing specialty. The aim of Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation is to maximise independence and dignity and reduce the extent of cancer and other life-limiting illnesses which interfere with an individual’s physical, psycho-social and economic functioning. Physiotherapy focuses on the care and treatment of a wide range of physical problems, which may optimize and increase the patients’ quality of life.
Haemophilia Federation of India
- The "Haemophilia Federation of India," Madurai chapter gives physiotherapy care and advice through our department.
The Academic activities of the department include the tie-up with various physiotherapy colleges under affiliation of the Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University. MMHRC is certified to offer C.R.R.I for the BPT students of these Universities.
Dr.Sathyanarayana.V- Sr.Consultant, Orthopedic Surgeon & Head, Dept. of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
P.Ganesan - Cheif Physiotherapist