Paediatric Intensive Care Unit
In our Paediatric Intensive Care Unit we offer modern medicine with latest technology to provide advanced care to very sick children. Very few centres in India are equipped to offer such care to the needy children. Paediatric critical care unit at Meenakshi Mission Hospital and Research Centre is the first of its kind in South Tamil Nadu providing quality critical care since 2011. We as a team strive hard not only to improve survival and minimize disability, but also to relieve pain and suffering with a humane touch.
An efficient and well-motivated critical care team headed by Dr. S. Senthil Kumar, the full time Paediatric intensivist. He did his training from two premier Paediatric institutes, Christian Medical College, Vellore and Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital, Chennai.
A team of well trained, skilled and experienced critical care nurses forms the backbone of our services. We provide one to one nursing care for every child.
Trained Paediatric resident doctors and duty doctors are posted in the unit to provide round the clock intensive care.
A Paediatric ICU transport team mobilises sick children from referral centres to our PICU
Facilities & Equipments
- Our PICU is an 8 bedded unit, specifically designed to provide highly specialized care to critically ill children at an affordable cost.
- The PICU is equipped with state-of-the-art advanced diagnostic and monitoring equipments.
- We provide both invasive and non invasive artificial respiration to sick children with latest generation ventilators.
- A separate isolation and barrier nursing facility to manage immunocompromised children and children with contagious diseases like chicken pox, measles, tuberculosis and MRSA infection.
- Strict infection control measures to prevent hospital acquired infections are practiced.
- Our support team includes a respiratory therapist, a physiotherapist, a dietitian and a social worker to counsel the parents.
- The unit is well supported by the full spectrum of in house specialities, like Paediatric surgery, Paediatric hemato-oncology, radiology, neurology, neurosurgery, nephrology and cardiology.
Bedside monitoring & procedures
Bedside monitoring and procedures
- Intra-arterial blood pressure (IBP) monitoring
- Central venous pressure (CVP) monitoring
- Continuous end tidal CO2 (ET CO2) monitoring
- Invasive Intracranial pressure monitoring
- Continuous EEG monitoring
- Echo cardiogram
- Invasive arterial line
- Central venous line and PICC line procedures
- Chest tube placements
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT)
- Bronchoscopy - flexible and rigid
- Introsseous line placement
- Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy
- Lumbar puncture
- Venous cut down
- Fasciotomy and Debridement
Services offered for
- Acute kidney injury
- Acute liver failure
- Breathing and lung problems
- Congenital heart disease and heart failure
- Oncological emergencies
- Childhood Diabetes and other metabolic problems
- Epilepsy and other neurological diseases
- Severe infections
- Drug overdose and poisoning
- Complex Paediatric surgeries
- Congenital anomalies
- Immunological disorders
Family Centered Care
Hospitalization of a child in PICU is extremely stressful for both the child and its family, hence a family centered care is very much needed. We consider families as part of our team and regularly discuss their child's condition, ongoing treatment and further plans and actively involve them in the decision making process. As a policy, we encourage the parents to be at the bedside with their children during the treatment process.
We deliver comprehensive, compassionate and quality care to the children and their families.
Referral doctors are regularly updated about the status of their patients and are referred back to them for further follow up.
- Dr. S.Senthil Kumar, MD(Ped), FNB (Ped crit care), FPCC (ISCCM) - Consultant