The Department of Anaesthesiology was established in 1990. This Department is proud of its tradition of excellence in the field of Anaesthesiology. This flawless excellence is derived from the quality and depth of our clinical programme, the range of clinical materials in our Operating Rooms and Intensive Care Units, the professional experience of our faculty and the high caliber of our resident programme.
We provide service round the clock with 14 Operating Rooms, 20 bedded Intensive Respiratory Care Unit and 10 bedded Multi-Specialty ICU as stepdown ICU. The Operating Rooms caters to General Surgery, Surgical Gastroenterology, Urology, Neurosurgery, Orthopaedics, Surgical Oncology, Obstetric & Gynecology, Dental, ENT, Plastic Surgery, Paediatric Surgery and Ophthalmology.
We have DNB programme since 2001 June. Our Postgraduates are given hands on training on all types of Anaesthesia as well as in Intensive Respiratory Care Unit management and Interventional Pain Management. Anaesthesia Department provides an essential safety net for all our patients and we work as a team to achieve the best possible.
Facilities & Equipment
14 Operation Theatres with all facilities are available for administering best Anaesthesia. Anaesthesia Workstation, BIS Monitoring, Intubating Bronchoscope, Nerve Stimulator, Neuromuscular Monitoring(TOF) and Modern Ultrasound Scan Machine with special probe for Nerve Blocks are available in our Operation Theatre.
We have the opportunity to deal with many high risk procedures like Video assisted Thoracoscopies, Intracranial Vascular Malformation, Joint Replacements, Renal Transplants, Neonatal Surgeries, Oncological Reconstructive Surgeries and Spine Surgeries.
Our Department provides Acute Pain Service (APS) to all post-operative patients. It has definitive positive impact on the post-surgical patient outcome. Along with APS - System Chronic pain management also took-off as an additional provision .Our Pain Services extends to cancer Pain Management, Trigeminal Neuralgia Facial Pain and Chronic Pain Syndrome. Pain interventions like diagnostic and therapeutic nerve block, radiofrequency ablation and chemical neurolysis are frequently done.
Our Intensive Respiratory Care Unit is equipped with 20 beds, 20 Ventilators, bedside monitors and central monitoring system. Our Critical Care Unit provides care to poisoning patients, neurosurgical patients other critically ill patients and pre and post-operative patients.
Preanaesthesia Clinic (PAC) has all the facilities including Spirometry to evaluate the patients preoperatively.
Our Anaesthesia Department provides Labour Analgesia during normal delivery process. Patients will be counselled for Epidural Labour Pain relief from second trimester onwards.
The sub-specialities include Cardiac Anaesthesiology which en-compresses a wide range of Cardiac Surgery.
We have "Smile Train Regional Centre" and completed 8000 Cleft Lip and Palate Surgeries Successfully.
Our Anaesthesia Services extend to Daycare procedures like MRI, Paediatric Intrathecal Therapy, Radiation Therapy, Oocyte Pickup and Diagnostic Endoscopic Procedures.
- We have 4 Postgraduates (2 Primary & 2 Post Diploma) every year and total of 10 DNB Residents in the Department. Clinical and Theory classes will be conducted by Consultants and Senior Consultants on the basis of DNB- Syllabus. Hands on training in all Anaesthetic Techniques, Journal Discussions and Case Discussion are the modes of our training.
Our Department provides excellent Anaesthesia for 60-70 operations from various Departments every day.
Our prime aim is the complete safety of all patients undergoing Operative Procedures at MMHRC.
This has been made possible through the introduction of new equipments, exacting standards of care, well trained, dedicated Anaesthesia Personnel and improved pre-operative evaluation, preparation and management of patients.
The knowledge of our Anaesthesiologists has kept pace with their expanding role in offering the highest quality health care available anywhere in the world.
- Dr. S. Lakshmi, MD, DA, – HOD & Chief Anaesthetist
- Dr. M. Krishnan, MD, DA, -Sr.Consultant
- Dr. K.S. Anand, MD (Anaes), - Sr.Consultant & Intensivist
- Dr. N. Maharajan, MD, DA, - Sr.Consultant
- Dr. Nancy Ann Cynthia Francis, MBBS, DA, – Sr.Consultant
- Dr. D. Kannan, MBBS, DA, DNB (Anaes) – Sr.Consultant
- Dr. K.M. Senthilkumar, MBBS, DA, DNB (Anaes) – Sr.Consultant
- Dr. J. Rajesh, MBBS, DA, DNB (Anaes) – Consultant
- Dr. V. Poornima, MD, DNB (Anaes) – Consultant
- Dr. S. Karthikeyan, MD (Acc & Eme) - Consultant & Intensivist
- Dr. K. Sandhanam, MBBS, DA, DNB (Anaes) - Jr. Consultant
- Dr. Navin Thariq, MBBS, DA, DNB (Anaes) - Registrar
Pain ClinicPain is the commonest health problem of mankind today. Almost 80% of the patients visiting outpatient department have pain. Our department is the first pain clinic in South Tamilnadu operating over 20 years. We provide a variety of services with a patient centric approach by focusing on to individual patients. Sticking with our vision “World class healthcare within everybody’s reach” we expanded our current facilities and skill level. We treat both long term pain and cancer pain with an extraordinary approach.
Facilities and Equipments
- Well equipped modern pain clinic with facilities for both inpatients and outpatients management
- Procedure room well equipped with modern monitors ,Anesthesia and resuscitation equipments
- Radiofrequency generator
- Medical ozone generator
- Ultrasound machine
- Round the clock service
Our way of Management
We are following multimodal approach to relive chronic pain of the patients in our special way. Improving the “Quality of life” of the sufferers is our ultimate goal. We are travelling towards that.
- Believing the patient ‘s pain
- Pain Evaluation
- Interventional pain management
- Physical/ Occupational therapy
- Supportive care